2008/08/19

The purpose of this web log

I have made this blog to address the issue of the controversy surrounding Rev Dr Andrew TB McGowan's latest book The Divine Spiration of Scripture. However, it may be useful also as a place to discuss the broader issues raised in the book, of the relationship between The Holy Spirit, the human writers of scripture, the text itself, and us as the recipients of God's Word.

The post that will follow shortly after this one is not so much a review of the book in its own right, something I wish I could have written, but in many ways is a review of other reviews! Because of the strident nature of some inaccurate reviews, I feel I must begin by writing against their extremely jaundiced view of the book. So unfortunately what I say will be just as much about what Andrew is NOT saying as about what he is. I will not go over in detail the content of the book chapter by chapter. Other reviews do that already. The best of these in my opinion are those of Rowland S. Ward of the PCEA and John Frame. Although critical of Andrew's position on Inerrancy, Rowland's review is far more measured and accurate than that of de Witt. You can find it at http://www.knoxpcea.org.au . John Frame's review is very long and comprehensive. I had it sent to me, but I couldn't find it on his website yet. Perhaps you can, here.

There are positive reviews, but not many, despite the fact that there are many godly reformed and evangelical people who do not regard this book as heresy and find much in it that is good. They include The Moderator General Robert Benn, and past Moderator General Bob Thomas of the Presbyterian Church of Australia; several members of the faculties of PTC Sydney and PTC Melbourne, such as Greg Goswell Ian Smith, and John McLean; Michael Jensen (son of Archbishop Peter Jensen); and numerous other Australian ministers and pastors who have benefited from Andrew's teaching ministry on his trips here last year and during July and August this year. He also has support amongst evangelicals in Scotland.

I would urge you to read the book before reading any reviews, including mine.

No comments: